dli

Dual Language Immersion Welcomes Transitional Kindergarten, Kindergarten and First Grade Applicants for 2022-2023

The Vista Unified Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program is open to all incoming Transitional Kindergarten, Kindergarten and 1st grade students.  Families who are registering a child for Kindergarten for 2022-23  and are interested in the DLI program should indicate their interest on the online Interest Form. This will enable us to contact your family regarding virtual parent information sessions and provide a link to attend. Attendance at a parent information session is required for entry to the program . Indicating interest on the registration form is not a commitment to the program.

DLI Program at Grapevine Elementary (TK-4) and Hannalei (Kinder)

In the Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program at Grapevine Elementary and Hannalei, students in the Transitional Kindergarten through 5th grade spend approximately 50 percent of their core academic day learning in Spanish and the other 50 percent learning in English. This means DLI students have two main teachers, one for English instruction and one for Spanish. In other cases, there is one bilingual teacher in a self-contained classroom with a group of DLI students. In our program, students learn all subject matters in English and in Spanish. Specials, such as music, or library, are taught in English. 

This 50-50 model allows students to maintain proficiency in their native language while adding another language (target language). At the completion of elementary school, students will be on their way to becoming biliterate and bilingual in both Spanish and English. Research has shown that this DLI model is highly successful at teaching grade-level content while developing impressive levels of language proficiency in students.

Compelling research from the past 30 years shows that DLI programs can produce important benefits for all students including:

  • Enhanced Cognitive Skills as students typically develop greater cognitive flexibility and demonstrate increased attention control, better memory, and superior problem-solving skills.
  • Improved Academic Performance as students perform as well as or better than non-immersion students on standardized tests of English and mathematics. As students respond to the cognitive demands of learning content in two different languages they develop enhanced cognitive skills that benefit them throughout their K-12 academic experience.
  • Higher Second Language Proficiency as students achieve higher levels of second language proficiency they graduate from high school “bilingual” and “bi-literate”.
  • Enhanced Global Citizenship as students are better prepared to collaborate, communicate and problem solve across linguistic and political boundaries. They also exhibit more positive attitudes toward other people and other cultures. 

DLI Program at Alamosa Park  

In the Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program at Alamosa students in Kindergarten through 2nd grade spend 

  • Kindergarten and First Grade: 90 percent in Spanish and the other 10 percent learning in English. 
  • Second Grade: 80 percent in Spanish and the other 20 percent learning in English. 
  • Third Grade: 70 percent in Spanish and the other 30 percent learning in English.
  • Fourth Grade: 60 percent in Spanish and the other 40 percent learning in English.
  • Fifth Grade: 50 percent in Spanish and the other 50 percent learning in English.

This means DLI students have one main teacher. In our program, students learn all subject matters in English and in Spanish, per language allocation time. Specials, such as music, or library, are taught in English. 

This 90-10 model allows students to acquire proficiency in the target language in an almost fully immersed environment in Kindergarten, only to see it decrease in second grade and up. The goal is to acquire second language skills at a faster pace. language while adding another language (target language). At the completion of elementary school, students will be on their way to becoming biliterate and bilingual in both Spanish and English. Research has shown that this DLI model is highly successful at teaching grade-level content while developing impressive levels of language proficiency in students.

Compelling research from the past 30 years shows that DLI programs can produce important benefits for all students including:

  • Enhanced Cognitive Skills as students typically develop greater cognitive flexibility and demonstrate increased attention control, better memory, and superior problem-solving skills.
  • Improved Academic Performance as students perform as well as or better than non-immersion students on standardized tests of English and mathematics. As students respond to the cognitive demands of learning content in two different languages they develop enhanced cognitive skills that benefit them throughout their K-12 academic experience.
  • Higher Second Language Proficiency as students achieve higher levels of second language proficiency they graduate from high school “bilingual” and “bi-literate”.
  • Enhanced Global Citizenship as students are better prepared to collaborate, communicate and problem solve across linguistic and political boundaries. They also exhibit more positive attitudes toward other people and other cultures. 

Why did the district choose Spanish for the DLI program?

With over 330 million speakers globally, Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and is the official language of 44 countries. Spanish is a good springboard for learning other Romance languages, including Portuguese, Italian, and French, with little difficulty. Locally, we have district staff and community members who speak Spanish.

Who can apply to the Dual Language Immersion program in Vista Unified for 2022-2023?

We welcome all district students to our program!  Any VUSD student who is scheduled to start Transitional Kindergarten Kindergarten or Grade 1 in August 2022 can apply. A student in an older grade who is transferring from another DLI program or who speaks Spanish proficiently may be able to enroll in the DLI program if there are spots available. The program is open to students who are fluent in Spanish and/or English as well as to students who are fluent in neither English nor Spanish. Students will be assessed to determine if the program is a match for them. For instance, if Japanese is your native language, you can still apply to the immersion program.

How do I apply?

Please indicate your interest in the DLI program on the Interest Form of the online registration in our school website. Families who indicate interest will be invited to attend a virtual parent information session.  For additional information, please contact the schools listed for Dual Language Immersion, or the Multilingual Education Department at 760-726-2170, or at rafaelolavide@vistausd.org

Can my child enter the immersion program in second, third, fourth or fifth grades?

A student fluent in Spanish and English who has participated in an immersion program in another district and is new to Vista Unified can apply to the immersion program. However, in general, we accept new students in Transitional Kindergarten, Kindergarten and in the fall of Grade 1.

 What kind of parent-family commitment is expected?

The willingness to commit to long-term participation in the DLI program is essential. Parents must commit to participating in the program through 5th grade. A Parent Commitment Night will be scheduled for new families to the DLI program. Parents should take advantage of the opportunities to learn about DLI education by attending these parent meetings. 

 How do I best support my child in learning a new language?

We will provide information for parents throughout the program from Kindergarten through 5th grade. In general, research shows that you can support the process by:

1. Being patient and supportive since it may take time for your child to feel comfortable in a classroom where a new language is being spoken
2. Joining this exciting journey by learning some Spanish or English yourself
3.
Reading with your child in their native language for 20-30 minutes daily 4. Encouraging your child to practice their language skills with native speakers in the community  

Will my student be able to continue Spanish-language education in middle school?

Yes, the DLI program continues into middle school. For 2024-25 there will be DLI cohorts in 6th. The following year, the first cohort will arrive in 7th grade. In 2027-28 the program will be offered in 8th grade, and in the high school DLI students will enroll in a Spanish class at the appropriate level.


COMING IN 2022-2023

HANNALEI ELEMENTARY
KINDERGARTEN 
 

world

DUAL LANGUAGE INTEREST FORMS 

Fill out the Interest Form for the school that you are planning to attend in 2022-2023. The school you select will contact you. 
Thank you!


GRAPEVINE


ALAMOSA PARK 


HANNALEI 

VUSD Dual Language Program Expansion 


 


 


Background:

In November 2016, California voters approved Proposition 58, also known as the CA Ed.G.E. Initiative. The purpose of the CA Ed.G.E. Initiative is to ensure that all children in California public schools receive the highest quality education, master the English language, and access high-quality, innovative, and research-based language programs that prepare them to fully participate in a global economy.


The CA Ed.G.E. Initiative authorizes school districts and county offices of education to establish language acquisition programs for both native and non-native English speakers, and requires school districts and county offices of education to solicit parent and community input in developing language acquisition programs.


In the 2018-2019 school year Grapevine Elementary began a 50/50 English- Spanish Dual Immersion program in two kindergarten classrooms.  
In the 2020-2021 school year Alamosa Park opened a 90/10 English- Spanish Dual Immersion program in Kindergarten and in 1st grade.


VUSD School board is in support of expanding the Dual Immersion programs.  


DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION PROGRAMS IN VUSD 
2021-2022

 SCHOOL   MODEL   GRADES
 Grapevine Elementary   50/50  TK-3rd Grade 
 Alamosa Park   90/10  K-2nd Grade